15 August 2011

Featured Artist - WaterInMyPaint

Residing in Toronto, Deidre has a tiny studio where she paints with watercolour.

I asked Deidre a few questions about her and her work, and she graciously answered them all:


What made you decide to become an artist?
I started drawing in Fashion School - fashion illustration being an essential skill after all. I stopped for a few years but picked it up again when the frustrations of a career in fashion became too much. Now I can't stop drawing and painting!!!

What does a creative day look like for you?
Up early to walk my 2 dogs and feed my 4 mouthy cats. Then it's a strong cup of tea or I can't even begin to get creative. I pack orders and answer emails first. I also have a stencil business so I split the rest of my day between designing and cutting stencils and drawing and painting watercolours. Plus there's more tea and giving of pet treats sprinkled throughout the day.

What inspires you to create?
I can't imagine NOT creating, to be honest. I've been making things since I was teeny tiny, everything from painting to sewing to cutting up my parents' good set of bed sheet (ooppss...) My watercolours are inspired by my 6 pets, no question. They're always up to something that makes me laugh and that comes out in my work. If I'm having a bad day, I just have to sit and paint an animal and all is right with the world again.

What are the goals you have for your business?
I envision a day when I'm able to live strictly off my painting. For now the plan is to continue to paint new images, expand my product line and grow, grow, grow. Stationary and limited edition prints are already in the works and I have many other wild and crazy ideas (he, I'm an artist, after all!)


Here are a few of my favourites from WaterInMyPaint:




I want to get the eye painting SO BAD, it's so beautiful! All I can say is, I hope Deidre is selling that item as a print as well as an original!

Deidre has two other shops on etsy: DeidreWicks - Craft Patterns and Supplies and StencilMeBrightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I really enjoy reading feedback and comments from my readers!