21 February 2011

Featured Artisan - acrookedsixpence

Today's featured artisan hails from England.  Her name is Karen and I first saw her work in a picture of a hot water bottle cover she had knitted.  When I was younger, and got growing pains in my legs, my dad would make up a hot water bottle and put it in bed with me, and he would wrap it up in a towel.  And by the morning, the water bottle would be at the foot of the bed, and the towel would be wrapped around my legs!  


So when I first saw her work, I thought, "That is a much better idea than wrapping the hot water bottle in a towel!"  And the pictures are also very well done.  As I was unable to reach her to ask a few questions, here is a bit about Karen from her profile on etsy.  


Hi, my name is Karen. I live and work in County Durham in the northeast of England U.K.with my husband Dave.  I have been knitting since I was a child, which is more years than I care to admit. I enjoy working with Aran patterns and I am looking into the history of these designs. At the moment I am working with pure wool which I have recently sourced in Scotland, a beautiful traditional yarn in a variety of interesting colours.


Apart from hot water bottle covers, she also creates cushion covers (that could match a hot water bottle cover), scarves, fingerless gloves, and other accessories.  Here are some of my favourites from her shop:








I plan to purchase a hot water bottle cover for sure, and I am also interested in her fingerless gloves - I love that concept!  Take a look at her shop and let me know what you like best!

3 comments:

  1. I think your sister made fingerless gloves-- or she just made gloves and forgot the fingers

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I asked her about that last night, and she said it didn't turn out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shirley,
    Thank you so much for featuring my work in your blog. I am honoured to be a part of it.
    Fingerless are one of my favourites, I wear them most days.
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I really enjoy reading feedback and comments from my readers!