02 March 2011

Focus on Family - March 2

This past week has been full of blessing. I guess every week is, but I was more aware of it this week. Mainly for two reasons: even though Jeffery is still not getting a pay cheque (slow season at work), we have enough to pay most of the coming bills, like our car payment, car insurance, and our mortgage payment. We were given some money from a family from our church, which greatly contributed to our bank account.

The other blessing is that Jeff's work is finally picking up, due mainly to the semi-melt that we had on Monday. Now we're just waiting for sales!

On another note, here is Alexander:



This odd picture is Alexander taking a nap. I had already put him in bed, and this reindeer that Karen got him for Christmas was on the floor. Alexander calls it his cow. Anyway, he got out of bed and got the 'cow' and put it on his head and went to sleep. Here is a close-up. I couldn't resist taking a picture.




I've had a difficult time getting a picture taken of Isabel smiling, since she gets distracted by the camera in her face. This is the best I've been able to do so far. It's weird seeing a baby with hair laying flat. If anyone remembers, I couldn't get Alexander's hair to stay down to save my life; I remember using hair gel at one point, and that didn't even work. So seeing this picture of Isabel's hair laying flat is odd.


This is Alexander when he was a month old after his hair dried from his bath.
This is Isabel at two months after her hair dried from her bath - what a difference!
This chicken I made on Monday. It was yummy. AND it wasn't burnt! Point for Shirley! (not that it's a competition, or anything.)




Here is the recipe for the rub:




  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
  • 6 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 onions, quartered


I didn't have any onions or garlic, so I didn't use those (which would have gone inside the chicken anyway, they're not part of the rub itself; and I added 1/2 tsp cumin and 1/4 tsp ginger.  This rub would work well for 2 small chickens. You know how metro has them on sale 2 for the price of 1 this week - that is the size of the chicken.




Alexander colouring on his little table - thanks again, Niki!


I'm not entirely sure why this picture is downloading onto the blog as a portrait orientation; it was taken in landscape. I think Isabel looks like my sister Laura in this photo - to say, there is something in Isabel's face or expression that says "Laura" to me. There is something in Alexander's face saying that too, but it's more prominent in Isabel, I think.


Turn your head to the left - there!


Alexander likes to do weird things. He will run around and pretend to fall on the ground or the couch, whatever is near him, really. Then he will act as if he's 'stuck' and make a huge deal of getting back up. He will do this for about 15 minutes straight if you'd let him.


Alexander tumbling around


One of my favourite things that happened this week occurred on Sunday, I think. I had just put Isabel down, and was on the computer, and Jeff was downstairs with Alexander. They were rough-housing, and the squeals of laughter coming from Alexander made me smile - he has SO much fun playing with Jeffery!

The other night, when Jeff had an evening appointment, it was Alexander's bedtime, but dada was not there to give a hug and kiss to, so Alexander demanded that he get one of Jeff's business cards (which has his picture on it) to bring to bed with him. He held it while I changed his diaper, and he got upset with me when I put it down to get his pajama shirt on - it was really cute!

This coming week will be just as full of stories, I'm sure! 'Til next time, keep fit and have fun! lol (I think I giggled at that phrase more than you will; it hit my funny button)

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog Shirley. It makes me smile and remember past days too. You are an inspiration to me and I thank you for that. I also thank God that He has special people that he calls upon when we need them most. Keep going, and keep blogging. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it have something to do with her look of surprise? I look surprised a lot too. :) I think she has a bit more of the Eleveld look than Alexander, so that might be it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I really enjoy reading feedback and comments from my readers!